There are new Windows 11 insider preview builds available for testing. Two new builds have been made available to the beta channel by Microsoft, as is their custom. One version has updated functionality, while another version has these updates disabled by default. If you want to learn everything there is to know about Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22631.2048 and 22621.2048.
Microsoft has released KB5028247, the first preview build of Windows 11. The company has announced that “Insiders who were previously on Build 22624 will automatically get moved to Build 22631 via an enablement package.”
The latest beta version improves the File Explorer by adding a brand new Gallery tab that elegantly displays your photo collection (the same photos available in all photos in the Photos app). You can now easily upload photos from your phone to the Gallery by using the new Add Phone Photos option in the command bar.
Starting with this update, users on Windows insider preview build 22631 will see the versioning updated under Settings > System > About to version 23H2. This build also brings an option to end task from the taskbar with a right-click. Microsoft also added the ability to tear out and merge tabs in File Explorer. The other change coming with this build is “For Developers” settings page now available in Settings > System.
Here’s the complete list of changes and improvements.
Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22631.2048 – Changes and Improvements
- Windows Insiders on Build 22631 will see the versioning updated under Settings > System > About (and Winver) to version 23H2. This denotes that Windows 11, version 23H2 will be this year’s annual feature update which will be delivered to customers similar to the most recent Windows 10 feature updates. As mentioned here, Windows 11 will have an annual feature update cadence that releases in the second half of the calendar year. For more information, see this blog post here.
- Taskbar & System Tray
- After updating to this build, the ability to end a task when right-clicking an app on the taskbar may appear, however, this feature currently does not work correctly and will be fixed in a future flight in the Beta Channel. The setting for it under Settings > System > For developers also currently does not show.
- File Explorer
- We have added the ability to tear out and merge tabs in File Explorer.
- For Developers
- We are moving the “For Developers” settings page from Settings > Privacy & security to now be under Settings > System.
Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22631.2048 – Fixes
- Fixed an issue that could cause the taskbar to hang during initialization and not complete loading.
- File Explorer
- Fixed an issue that could lead to explorer.exe crashes when opening a folder containing.WEBP files.
- Did some work to help address an issue where File Explorer might hang when browsing network shares.
- Fixed an issue where you might unexpectedly see a suggestion to turn off notifications that you regularly interacted with.
The new features are available on the Windows 11 insider preview build 22631.2048, if you receive the 22621 build, then you can update to the 22631 any time and get access to the new features.
If you’ve opted for the beta channel in Insider Preview Program and running on Windows 11, then you’ll receive the new beta build. You can simply head over to Settings > Windows Update > click on Check for Updates. You can simply download the update on your PC.
- Windows 11 Preview Build 23541 fixes explorer.exe crash
- Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22631.2265 adds COLRv1 3D Emojis to Beta.
- Microsoft releases Windows 11 Preview Build 23536 and 25941
- How To Copy Text From Images In Windows 11
- How To Use Windows Help and Support On Windows 10