what is a bootloader?
you might be asking what is a bootloader on android smartphone?
I will explain with the simplest terms, a bootloader is a piece of software that runs every time your phone starts up. It tells the phone what programs to load in order to make your phone run. The bootloader starts up the Android operating system when you turn on the phone
What happens if I unlock bootloader?
A device with a locked bootloader will only boot the operating system currently on it. You can’t install a custom operating system – the bootloader will refuse to load it. If your device’s bootloader is unlocked, you will see an unlocked padlock icon on the screen during the start of the boot process
How do I know if bootloader is unlocked?
This is the easiest method to check your bootloader status:
- Open settings
- Scroll down to system, it should be the last option in settings
- In system scroll down and click on About phone.
- Once there click on Build Number 7x (Seven Times)
- Once clicked 7x (seven times) you will see a message saying You are now a Developer or Developer mode has been turned ON.
- Now go back to system you will find a new option with name Developer Option
- Open developer Option and navigate to OEM unlock, if you find a tiny text attached to it saying (Allow the bootloader to be unlocked) your device is not Unlocked yet
- if your device is unlocked you will find this particular text attached to (Bootloader is already unlocked)
Now Lets Unlock Bootloader On Android
Without further adu, lets proceed with unlocking your smartphone bootloader
Unlocking bootloader will ERASE EVERYTHING ON YOUR ANDROID SMARTPHONE! Backup anything important before preceding
Get the Prerequisites to Unlock Bootloader
- If you need to root your Android smartphone or tablet, you will most likely need to use fastboot and ADB tools
- Download fastboot.zip and ADB Drivers (for Windows, no drivers needed for Mac or Linux)
- To use fastboot.zip, simply unzip and you will find fastboot.exe and adb.exe for Windows.
- Download Android USB driver for Windows
- Download fastboot.zip
- USB Cable
- Up to 50% Juice
- Once fastboot.zip has been downloaded, unzip/extract all files to “fastboot” folder in your “Downloads” directory
For Mac or Linux, you will have to change the file permissions first by typing:
chmod 755 *
- Which will allow you to execute it.
For Mac, you will have to start with:
For Linux, you will have to start commands with:
- Note: the “sudo” is required if you are running your Linux system as a user
THE ABOVE COMMANDS ARE FOR LINUX AND MAC USERS
Now Lets Proceed with unlocking Method
Once fastboot.zip has been downloaded, unzip/extract all files to “fastboot” folder in your “Downloads” directory
Now connect your USB Cable to your PC and enable USB Debugging mode on your smartphone.
The next thing to do is to fastboot your smartphone,
To get this done Search for CMD in your PC. Launch the command prompt as admin.
For windows Users type the commands below to carry out the task.
make sure to hit enter after each command.
adb reboot bootloader
This command will fastboot your device
Once in fast boot mode, the next command is of two types, Note: one of them is going to work for your device.
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flashing unlock
after typing hit enter, you will get a message on you smartphone screen asking to unlock bootloader Yes/No
Use the volume keys to make sure Yes is highlighted then press the power key, Now this will unlock the bootloader
Unlocking bootloader will ERASE EVERYTHING ON YOUR ANDROID SMARTPHONE! AT THIS LEVEL YOU CAN’T GO BACK.
This will reboot your smartphone automatically, once your phone restart you can now sign and enjoy your unlocked smartphone.
Now you have unlocked your smartphone bootloader what do you want to do next?