European Union users of Windows 11 are fortunate. Users of Windows 10 and Windows 11 are now able to remove any app they so choose and can opt to use a different search engine than Bing as a result of the recent Digital Market Act that the European Commission passed.
Unfortunately, removing Microsoft Edge from your Windows PC is not something you can do if you do not reside in the EU. Nevertheless, solutions can always be found through creative problem-solving. You have found the correct location if you are curious about removing Microsoft Edge from a Windows computer.
How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge on Your Windows PC
Here is what you need to uninstall Microsoft Edge from your Windows PC.
- Windows 10/11 PC with the latest update installed
- ViveTool from GitHub
- Microsoft Edge web browser
Download the ViveToool
The ViveTool is one of the most useful tools for those who like to tinker around with the operating system and either enable or disable certain features on their Windows PC. Follow these steps to download ViveTool.
- Launch your favorite web browser on your PC and visit this GitHub link.
- Make sure to click on the ViveTool zip folder to download it to your Windows PC.
- Once the download completes, make sure to unzip the contents and place these contents in a folder location that you can easily think of.
Run The Vivetool Command
In this process, you need to run a command that will make Vivetool enable a particular feature. Here are the steps.
- Open up the folder where you have extracted the contents of the Vivetool folder.
- Now, open the Command Prompt app within the File Explorer itself.
- With the command prompt open, make sure to set the navigation path to where you have extracted the contents of the ViveTool.
- When that has been done, simply type in vivetool /enable /id:44353396 and press the enter key.
- Once the command has been executed, make sure to restart your Windows PC.
Uninstalling Microsoft Edge
Now that you have gone through all of the steps to prepare your system to uninstall the Microsoft Edge web browser., you need to follow these steps to complete the uninstallation process on your Windows PC.
- Open up the File Manager on your Windows PC by pressing the Windows and Ekeys.
- In the file path bar of the File Explorer, simply navigate to C:\Windows\system32
- When the system32 window opens up, navigate and select theIntegratedServicesRegionPolicySet file.
- Right-click on the policy file and choose the Properties option.
- In the Properties window, click on the Security tab and select the Advanced button.
- Click on the Change button next to where it says, Owner.
- In the object name field, type in Administrators and click on the OK button to save those changes.
- Now, click on the Edit button followed by Administrators and finally check mark the Full Control option under Allow.
- Make sure to save the file to your desktop as you need to make a few changes to it.
- Open up the recently saved Notepad file as an administrator.
- You should see the default state option. Make sure to type in enabled or disabled depending on what has been displayed there.
- Next, you need to open up the registry editor on your Windows PC and navigate over to Computer\HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International\Geo.
- In the Name value, make sure to set the Data type to your country.
- Go back to the Notepad and add your country next to where it says enabled.
- Save the Notepad file, and any other field on your PC.
- Restart your PC and you should now notice that the Microsoft Edge web browser has been uninstalled from your Windows PC.
- How to unlock OnePlus Open SIM lock (remove region restriction)
- How to unlock Realme GT5 SIM lock (remove region restriction)
- How to Enable Realme GT Neo 5 Call Recording
- How to Change Realme GT Neo 5 SE into Global Version
- How to unlock bootloader on Realme Narzo 60 Series