In their most recent WWDC event, Apple unveiled iOS 15 and iPadOS 15. Following the event, iOS 15 is made available to developers. If you have a subscription as a developer, you may quickly update to iOS 15 by installing the iOS 15 Beta Profile and selecting iOS 15 Developer Beta 1 from Software Update. This tutorial is for you if you’ve finished testing the iOS 15 Beta and wish to switch back to iOS 14 for any reason. You’ll learn How to Revert from iOS 15 to iOS 14 without losing data in this guide.
The latest major upgrade for iPhones, iOS 15, will be released to all users this autumn. If you want to check it out early, you may do so now with the iOS 15 Developer Beta or next month with the iOS 15 Public Beta. The iOS 15 beta comes with a slew of new features, so it’s well worth your time to test it out.
Spatial Audio in FaceTime, SharePlay for sharing material with participants, iMessage shared contents can now be accessed from stock apps, alerts now show larger app icons and contact photographs, Focus, Photo Search, Spotlight, new wallpapers, and more are among the new features in iOS 15. There are a variety of reasons to sample the iOS 15 beta before it is released to the general market. If you’ve already tried, here’s how to downgrade to iOS 15.
How to Revert from iOS 15 to iOS 14
If you’ve been using iOS 15 and now wish to switch to iOS 14 for whatever reason, such as problems or because you’ve finished your testing. Jailbreak support is another major argument for upgrading from iOS 15 to iOS 14. Yes, you may not be able to jailbreak iOS 15 because it is a fresh version.
You should be aware that we are unable to downgrade to an iOS version that is not signed. As a result, in this approach, you can choose any signed version to which you want to revert, such as iOS 14.6 (the most recent update).
You won’t have to worry about data if you follow this approach since you’ll be able to restore everything from iOS 15 to iOS 14. Let’s begin by making a complete backup of your iPhone running iOS 15.
Prerequisites for iOS 15 Data Restore
If you want the info from your iOS 15, you may use this part. If not, you can skip to the next part after the first two steps. However, before doing any update or alteration, it is always a good idea to make a backup.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Your Account > iCloud > Find My and Turn off the Find My iPhone option.
- Remove the iOS 15 Beta profile from Settings > General > VPN & Device Management. You can ignore the Restart popup.
- Now connect your iPhone to your Windows PC or Mac.
- Take a backup of your iPhone using Finder on Mac or iTunes on Windows. Make sure to backup data on your Mac or Windows instead of iCloud (You need to check ‘Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac/Windows’).
- Mac – After backup, click on Manage Back Up and open the latest backup file and then open Info.plist which will be in the backup file.
- Windows – Open Run dialog and enter %appdata%. It will take you to the app data location. From that location go to Apple Computer > MobileSync > Backup. Select the latest backup and look for the Info file.
- Make sure to open it on a text editor or notepad.
- In the Info Plist, search for the Product version and change its string value to 14 in Mac and 14.0 in Windows and save the file.
You can use the downgrade technique after taking a backup and changing the backup file. To avoid difficulties like iPhone spinning wheel displays, make sure you follow all of the procedures exactly.
Steps to Revert from iOS 15 to iOS 14
- Download the signed IPSW for your iPhone or iPad. You can get it from IPSW sites. Signed IPSW will have the green tick.
- Transfer the downloaded iOS or iPadOS signed IPSW to your computer.
- Open Finder or iTunes and connect your iPhone. Make sure to Trust the connection to connect your iPhone successfully.
- After trusting the device, it will show iPhone information on your Finder or iTunes.
- If you want to keep your data after the downgrade, then follow the points given in the preparation method. After changing the value in the backup file, follow the further process.
- Now if you have a Mac then hold the Option button and click on Restore iPhone. Hold the Shift button in case you have a Windows PC.
- It will open the Explorer, choose and select the iOS 14/iPadOS 14 IPSW file that you downloaded in the first step.
- After selecting the IPSW click on Restore in the popup.
- Now your iPhone will restore to the preferred version of iOS 14.
- Your iPhone will reboot into the System. Once you reach Apps & Data while setting up your device, choose “Don’t Transfer Apps & Data” if you want to restore iOS 15 data backup. You can also skip iCloud sign-in.
If you want to restore data, then you can follow the next section. It will help to get all the data from iOS 15 to iOS 14.
Restore iOS 15 Data
Connect your iPhone to the computer when you’ve finished setting it up. On your Finder or iTunes, make sure the connection is trusted.
When the iPhone information appears in the Finder or iTunes, click the Restore Backup button. Select the backup file that you changed previously in this instruction from the list. It will then begin recovering your iOS 14 back-ups.
After reboot, set up your device again and you will find all your previous data. Now you can enjoy iOS 14.
That’s all there is to it for how to downgrade iOS 15 to iOS 14. This instruction is also applicable to iPads. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments area.