The new iOS 17.1 update includes numerous new features. The first major incremental update for iOS 17 brings many useful iPhone changes, including AirDrop Over Internet.
This allows file sharing over the internet even when you’re out of range. Learn about AirDrop Over Internet and how to enable it on your iPhone.
Apple’s AirDrop allows iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch users to seamlessly share files. This year, iOS 17 brings significant AirDrop improvements, including NameDrop for instant contact sharing. Share files using Cellular Data or the internet is the latest update to the tech giant’s file sharing service.
All files were securely shared over WiFi and Bluetooth before the new feature, but only within a certain range. If you left range, the transfer stopped. With this new feature, file transfers can be done online. Sharing files uses data, so you can use WiFi or cellular data.
Make sure AirDrop Over Internet is enabled in Settings to automatically share a photo if you leave range. Check out how to activate the new feature.
How to Turn On AirDrop Over Internet on your iPhone
- Open Settings on your iPhone running on iOS 17.1.
- Scroll down and select General.
- Now tap AirDrop.
- First things first, check if AirDrop is activated or not, you can activate by selecting Contacts Only or Everyone for 10 minutes option.
- Next, turn the toggle on for Use Cellular Data option to transfer files over the internet.
- That’s it.
If for some reason you want to deactivate the new feature, you can turn the toggle off for Use Cellular Data in the AirDrop Settings.
Whenever you are out of range, you will now have the option to use mobile data on the AirDrop file sharing popup on your iPhone 15’s Dynamic Island or on older iPhones. The time it takes to complete file sharing over cellular data will depend on the real-time speed of the data you are receiving. Both you and the recipient will have the ability to monitor the progress on the screen.
- Apple releases iOS 17.2 Beta 1 with Journal App and more.
- iOS 17’s Best Secret Features
- Apple testing iOS 17.0.3 for iPhone 15 Pro Heat.
- Apple sends iOS 17.1 Beta 2 to Developers
- Apple releases Important iOS 17.0.1 security update